Let the guessing game begin: Disney has planted the flag on release dates for five untitled Marvel movies staring with July 27, 2017 and running through May 3, 2019.
Let’s start the predictions, shall we?
For starters I sincerely doubt this is a complete list of release dates for the near future, only the initial batch, so I’m upping the roster to seven.
- Thor 3 is being written right now. Chris Hemsworth suggests an Armageddon storyline, which makes sense. If Asgard is heavily damaged but endures, Thor, as the new king, will dedicate himself to rebuilding his homeland. If Asgard is outright destroyed, Thor’s a prince without a kingdom (just like Loki), leaving him to bum around Earth with Jane and pop up in other Marvel movies, something he can’t really do now. Either way, no Thor 4.
- Assuming CA3 ends with Steve dying (or just retiring? maybe? hopefully?) I expect the start of a new trilogy with Bucky as the new Captain America. Sorry Sam, I know you’re the new Cap in the comics but Sebastian Stan’s the one with a 9-picture deal.
- Assuming the announcement wasn’t just made as CA2 promotion—and I’m still not convinced it wasn’t—Black Widow finally gets her long-overdue movie. This gives Hawkeye more to do, too, since he’s not getting his own film.
- A Black Panther origin story that draws him into The Avengers.
- A Loki standalone film, since Marvel’s Kevin Feige has already expressed that they’re open to it if Loki keeps drawing a big audience. And he will. Maybe a wacky space-jumping adventure with a GotG tie-in?
- Guardians of the Galaxy 2, because director James Gunn is already telling the cast to "be patient" about various plot choices. Subtle, bro.
- There was a three-year gap between The Avengers and AOU, so that leaves Avengers 3 in 2018.
But Marvel’s roster is so huge at this point that The Avengers is no longer a suitable catch-all. Either some big names are going to die or retire (Thor, Hulk, and Iron Man, I’d guess) or I expect Marvel is soon going to announce a splinter team series a la New Avengers or, better yet, new team totally unique to the MCU. And everything will be Marvel movies, forever and always, amen.